Alicia started dreaming of being a comedian at the age of 8. She did her first set at the tender age of 18. She graduated from Hampshire College with a degree in standup comedy and filmmaking.
Mentored by several talented comedians over the years, W. Kamau Bell (HBO, FX), Eugene Mirman (Flight of the Conchords), and Bill Santiago (Huffington Post, CNN, Comedy Central), she’s been knocking audiences out (not literally) at clubs like The Improv and Gotham Comedy Club, in San Francisco, New York, Hollywood, Bombay, Chennai, and London. She’s performed with Maria Bamford, Ali Wong, Moshe Kasher, Arj Barker, Brent Weinbach, Kevin Kataoka, Kate Willett, and many more luminaries.
“Alicia is hilarious and fabulous. She has a beautiful heart and soul.”
–Marci Shimoff, Author of Happy for No Reason
“I laughed till I cried. Brilliant writing and performing. She belongs on Letterman. Come see her so you can say you saw her before she was famous!”
“Unbelievably genius. Very helpful for me in many ways, especially spiritually. I was amazed at every single line – her timing, acting, nuanced humor, profound points, the FACES she made! Easily as good as Eddie Izzard.”
“Animated and graceful. By the end of 90 minutes of ‘Eat, Pray, Laugh!’ the house is full of laughter.” -Theatrius
After a dozen years of doing standup, she’s been racking up awards for her humorous, insightful one-woman shows. The SF Guardian called her “Goofy, messy, and fun!” The LA Theater Review says she’s “Charming, likable, and funny!” Sold-out hit shows and extended runs have garnered her a number of awards.
Her solo shows include, The Oy of Sex, Eat, Pray, Laugh!, The Punchline, and The Latest Show on Earth Circus. She’s also creator of The Spiritual Comedy Festival. Alicia wrote a humorous number-one best-selling book on Amazon, Getting Shit Done. Her current show, The Oy of Sex premiers in New York at The Bridge Theater at Shetler Studios March 30, 2016. And her next show, a new hour of standup comedy, is now in development.
Alicia has appeared on NPR, The Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Examiner, San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Express, The Lady Brain Show, J Magazine, BeliefNET, Elephant Journal, Elevate, Inspyr, Integral Yoga Magazine, The Mindful Word, Awaken.com, Taoish.com, and more.
Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Bay Guardian Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Weekly Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
Awarded “Best of the Fringe” -CAFE Arts Hollywood Fringe Festival
Awarded “TBA Recommended Show” -Theatre Bay Area
Awarded ”Best Storyteller” -Off-Broadway New York Solo Festival
Awarded “Best of the Fringe” (twice) -San Francisco Fringe Fest [twice, for two shows]
Awarded “Best Female Solo Show”, -San Francisco Fringe Festival
Awarded “Best Local Comedian” -East Bay Express
Awarded “Pick of the Week” -SF Chronicle Pink Section, “What’s Hot Pick of the Week” -ABC News in SF
Come see a show!
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the Mercury News by Sam Hurwitt
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the San Francisco Chronicle
- Listing of The Oy of Sex Off Broadway in The New York Times
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint Maya Klausner
- Review of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint (different from the above article) Maya Klausner
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in Theatrius
- Review of The Oy of Sex in SF Station
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in Playbill
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in San Francisco Examiner by Leslie Katz
- Interview with Alicia about The Spiritual Comedy Festival in The Magical Buffet
- LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH: Interview with Alicia Dattner, spiritual comedian and life coach in The Mindful Word
- Goldstar Audience Reviews of Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- CBS Bay Sunday – Getting Shit Done (book)
- CBS Bay Sunday – Laughter Yoga
- Lady Brain Podcast – The Oy of Sex
- Illum TV with Kelly Marlow on Laughter
- Klausner Kulture on The Oy of Sex
- Open Air on KALW on Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- Maureen Langan on Eat, Pray, Laugh! KGO Radio
- Talkies with Vylma on KPFA on Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- Doable Change Podcast with Sam Rogers
High Res Press Pics