- Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Bay Guardian Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
- Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Weekly Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
- Awarded “Top Five Solo Show of the Year” -Theatre Bay Area
- Voted “Best Storyteller” -New York United Solo Festival
- Voted “Best of the Fringe” -Hollywood Fringe Festival
- Awarded “TBA Recommended Show” -Theatre Bay Area
- Awarded “Best of the Fringe” (twice) -San Francisco Fringe Fest
- Awarded “Best Female Solo Show” -San Francisco Fringe Festival
- Voted “Best Local Comedian” -East Bay Express
- “Pick of the Week” -SF Chronicle Pink Section (multiple times)
- “What’s Hot Pick of the Week” -ABC News in SF (multiple times)
Alicia did her first standup set at age 18. She graduated from Hampshire College with a degree in standup comedy and filmmaking.
Mentored by several talented comedians over the years, including W. Kamau Bell (HBO, FX), Eugene Mirman (Flight of the Conchords), and Bill Santiago (Huffington Post, CNN, Comedy Central), she’s been knocking the tube socks off audiences at clubs like The Improv and Gotham Comedy Club, playing in San Francisco, New York, London, Hollywood, Honolulu, Bali, and Bombay.
She’s performed with Maria Bamford, Ali Wong, Moshe Kasher, Arj Barker, Kate Willett, Ann Randolph, and many more luminaries.
“Alicia is hilarious and fabulous. She has a beautiful heart and soul.”
–Marci Shimoff, Author of Happy for No Reason
“Recommended show!” (3 weeks in a row) –The New York Times
“I laughed till I cried. Brilliant writing and performing. She belongs on Letterman. Come see her so you can say you saw her before she was famous!”
“Unbelievably genius. Very helpful for me in many ways, especially spiritually. I was amazed at every single line – her timing, acting, nuanced humor, profound points, the FACES she made! Easily as good as Eddie Izzard.”
-Katie Darling, Creator of Motherwave
“Animated and graceful. By the end of 90 minutes of ‘Eat, Pray, Laugh!’ the house is full of laughter.” -Theatrius
“Alicia poured herself and her comic soul into a very tight pair of jeans. She was as charming as she was alarming. I left feeling shocked, entertained, thoughtful and happy that I have had none of these problems – NOT!” -Diana Prince, with Broadway Producer Stewart Lane
“Ultimately, laughter culminates in compassion rather than a mindless hangover. Dattner’s act is thoughtful, hilarious, and very brave. She reveals secrets of her desires, flaws and insecurities. That takes guts, and I admire Dattner her courage. Her comedy drives home a touching and beautiful message: to love and appreciate people because of their fears and insecurities. Amen!” -Ken Kaisser, Theater is Easy
“Dattner is smart, funny, entertaining, talented and full of energy. Dealing with serious issues, can be funny and still be enlightening. The confluence of a great writer with a talented actor can bring out such depth.” -Ray Morgovian, OffOffOnline
“Alicia’s honesty, charm, good writing and high energy make this one a winner.” -Leslie DiLeo, Hi Drama
“I can’t believe you said that on stage. In front of people.” -Alicia’s Parents
- Review of One Life Stand in Daily Cal
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the Mercury News by Sam Hurwitt
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the San Francisco Chronicle
- Listing of The Oy of Sex Off Broadway in The New York Times
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint Maya Klausner
- Review of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint (2nd article) Maya Klausner
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in Theatrius
- Review of The Oy of Sex in SF Station
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in Playbill
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in San Francisco Examiner by Leslie Katz
- Interview with Alicia about The Spiritual Comedy Festival in The Magical Buffet
- Live, Love, Laugh: Interview with Alicia Dattner, spiritual comedian and life coach in The Mindful Word
- Goldstar Audience Reviews of Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- CBS Bay Sunday – Getting Shit Done (book)
- CBS Bay Sunday – Laughter Yoga
- Lady Brain Podcast – The Oy of Sex
- Illum TV with Kelly Marlow on Laughter
- Klausner Kulture on The Oy of Sex
- Open Air on KALW on Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- Maureen Langan on Eat, Pray, Laugh! KGO Radio
- Talkies with Vylma on KPFA on Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- Doable Change Podcast with Sam Rogers
- New York United Solo Festival
- Hollywood Fringe
- San Francisco Fringe
- Phoenix Fringe
- Shetler Studios, NY
- The Marsh San Francisco
- Throckmorton Theater, Mill Valley CA
- Hampshire College, Amherst MA
- Cobb’s Comedy Club, San Francisco, CA
- The Punch Line Comedy Club, San Francisco, CA
- Gotham Comedy Club, NY
- The Funny Bone, Boise ID
- Seattle Underground Comedy Club
- The Knitting Factory, Hollywood
- Key City Theatre Port Townsend, WA
- Mumbai Jewish Community Center, Mumbai India
- Hawaii Yoga Festival
- Iowa City Yoga Festival
- San Francisco Comedy Day
- Mill Valley Comedy Day
High Res Press Pics (click to download)
DEEP CUT BIO
After a dozen years of doing standup, she’s been racking up awards for her humorous, insightful one-woman shows. The SF Guardian called her “Goofy, messy, and fun!” The LA Theater Review says she’s “Charming, likable, and funny!” Sold-out hit shows and extended runs have garnered her a number of awards.
Her shows include One Life Stand, The Oy of Sex, Eat, Pray, Laugh!, The Punchline, and The Latest Show on Earth Circus. She’s also creator of The Spiritual Comedy Festival. Alicia wrote a parody of David Allen’s book Getting Things Done that became an international number-one best-selling book on Amazon. Check out Getting Shit Done here. Her last show, The Oy of Sex premiered Off-Broadway in New York at The Bridge Theater recently and was listed three weeks running in The New York Times Comedy Section. Her newest show, a new hour of standup comedy called One Life Stand, is now touring.
She leads storytelling workshops around the world. Check out Solo Showdown Solo Performance & Comedy Workshops here.
Alicia has appeared on NPR, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Examiner, San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Express, The Lady Brain Show, J Magazine, BeliefNET, Elephant Journal, Elevate, Inspyr, Integral Yoga Magazine, The Mindful Word, Awaken.com, Taoish.com, and more.